You are here
Retail Data Management Solutions
Consumers now have multi-channel options for their shopping needs. As low prices and availability drive purchase decisions, retailers turn to business intelligence applications and online analytics to link consumers to historical purchasing behavior. At the same time, these same consumers are more and more concerned about their privacy.
In a 2005 survey conducted by Retail Data Security, "Retail Data Security 2005 Benchmark Study," it was found that retailers collecting and retaining customer specific purchase information are using this information for more than consumer-specific or one-to-one marketing. Recent breaches of retailer database systems show that in many cases this personal information, such as POS and customer personal data, is not being used as intended and has become a target for theft.
Retailers are taking measures to improve security around consumer data, but more can be done. When retailer IT data centers make copies of their production database systems, the copies contain the same customer sensitive information as the production environment. Audit controls and data security policies need to be extended to the non-production systems to ensure customer data is safe at all stages of the application development lifecycle.
Enterprise Data Management is a best practice that can be implemented in a retailer's data center to mitigate risk associated with managing consumer sensitive data.
Solix solutions provide retails companies with the tools to:
- Secure Consumer Data: With Solix EDMS Test Data Management IT can automate the copying and securing of consumer and retail database applications eliminating the risk of insider theft of consumer data.
- Monitor and track access to Consumer Sensitive Data: The Solix Enterprise Data Management Suite places the proper audit controls and security policies in place to ensure all sensitive data is monitored and secured. Audit policies are used to track who has access or altered sensitive information in a retail back-office and analytical application.
- Maintain Compliance: Solix Enterprise Database Archiving solutions enforce data retention policies defined by federal regulations or corporate governance practices through application-aware archive and purge.
- Improve Customer Satisfaction and Sales: By implementing application archiving solutions, archiving reduces production retail database sizes improving overall application performance. Online transaction processing is faster and availability to promise queries are quicker resulting in higher customer satisfaction and higher purchase probability.
- Control costs: Implementing an archiving solution lowers costs in IT infrastructure, including disk, tape and server processing. Also, by leveraging the same solution for controlling data security and auditing, IT data centers can significantly consolidate the number of data management tools, lowering training and maintenance support costs. By ensuring data is secure, costs associated with a data breach can be avoided completely