Improving the query time and reducing steep backup costs for LG Electronics
LG Electronics, a $35Billion + Korean electronics conglomerate, manages and archives more than 8 production databases putting data growth in check reducing database size, improving query times and reducing steep backup costs.
LG Electronics, Inc. is the world’s major force and technology innovator in electronics, information and communications products. The company has more than 72,000 employees working in 77 subsidiaries and marketing units around the world. LG Electronics is the world’s largest producer of CDMA handsets, DVD players, computer monitors, optical storage devices, air conditioners, canister vacuum cleaners, televisions, microwave ovens and other home appliances. LG Electronics has $35 billion in revenues and comprised of four business units: Mobile Communications, Digital Appliance, Digital Display and Digital Media.
- Exponential data growth resulted in longer time to run payroll and inventory processes with >1.2 Terabytes of data in their Payroll and Inventory modules alone
- Online database mirroring and daily backups were placing a huge burden on hardware and admin costs making mirroring non-affordable
- Degrading performance and high volume posed a high risk for impending upgrade from Oracle 11.5.9 to 11.5.10 the upgrade
- Required to keep end user access to archive data
- Archived over 100 million records in payroll, time and labor, inventory and purchasing in 90 minutes
- Reduced database size by 20% in every module
- Dramatic reduction in backup times and reduced costs of mirroring
- Significant improvement in system performance and query times
- Keep archive data available to all end users
- Reduced planned upgrade window