Why is File Archiving the need of the hour?
Unstructured data (Documents, PDFs, PPTs, text files, social media data, etc.) is growing at an unprecedented rate. As per a report published by IDC in 2021, enterprises have an average of 71PB of file storage in on-premises locations and over 91PB of it in public cloud locations. On-premises file storage was expected to grow at 46% per year over the next five years, while public cloud file storage was expected to grow even faster (at 53% per year).
According to estimates, 80% of enterprise data is unstructured and dispersed among silos of active and old file repositories. If left unchecked, these can quickly turn into unmanageable file swamps. Such a scenario would result in
- Increase in IT costs ( maintenance and storage)
- Regulatory non-compliance
- Frequent data breaches
- Data discovery challenges
The answer to the above challenges – File Archiving. It is an essential strategy for improving the efficiency of active data storage infrastructure, reducing IT costs and staying compliant.
Benefits of File Archiving
- Reduce cost and improve infra efficiency
- Free up costly primary storage by moving and archiving inactive files
- Improve infrastructure performance by moving redundant and old data
- Lower costs by efficiently identifying and moving inactive files to a low-cost cloud storage
- Retire legacy file repositories and free up IT resources
- Save further by tiering data to lower-cost storage based on age
- Stay Compliant with Data Regulations
- Enable policy-based retention schedules to meet compliance requirements
- Comply with Data privacy regulations such as GDPR, and CCPA by moving data out of active systems/processing.
- Meet legal requirements quickly with e-discovery and legal holds
- Quick Data Discovery and Access
- Browsable Centralized archives provide quick data access by breaking down data silos
- Full-content text search capabilities make it simple to locate relevant files
- Self-service access to data via role-based access controls
- Prevent Data loss and Leakages
- Centralize and consolidate inactive data for better monitoring and management.
- Classify data and protect data from accidental loss/leakages
- Reduce IT Effort
- Archiving helps reduce time and effort for backups and maintenance
- Save time for IT in fulfilling data requests by providing self-service access
Simplify & Automate Cloud File Archiving with SOLIX ECS
With SOLIX ECS, organizations can quickly identify and archive infrequently accessed files and legacy file systems into cost-effective and secure self-service cloud repositories with real-time search and access, centralized governance, security, and compliance.