You are here
Streamlining and Securing the Test Data Management Processes
Most IT organizations today have issue of provisioning additional storage and improving efficiencies around application development when they are creating full-sized application database clones for application testing. In a typical IT organization on average 6-8 full size database clones are created for each application. Database clones are also commonly used for application testing, upgrades, migration, training, performance testing and they are used by application developers and Quality Assurance teams.
In the above model IT organizations have to keep on provisioning storage systems to meet the data growth that is multiplied by the number of copies required by each application for testing. This creates a drag on the CapEx budget while increasing power and cooling demand and taking up valuable real estate on the data center operational floor. On top of this IT resources that include DBA's are spending time on inefficient processes that has severe impact on application development cycles.
Actually full database copies are seldom needed, and the costs of maintaining clones could be reduced significantly by using database subsets. However, until recently creating clones was labor intensive, and creating adequate subsets required still more manual attention, making it an inefficient process for a routine data center activity.
Solix EDMS Test Data Management is designed to bring the efficiencies of automation to the creation and management of database clones. It applies best practices to the process by providing central test data management for application testing based on user-configurable business rules. It provides secure, automated, single-pass cloning with subsetting to reduce clone sizes, again based on user-defined requirements, and integrates with the Solix EDMS Data Masking to protect sensitive information. The result is that smaller size data subsets for application testing are created and configured more efficiently, with much less manual intervention, and with fewer errors and vastly reduced security exposure
In addition, the automated subsetting decreases storage requirements and demands on limited data center resources and increases IT productivity. DBAs and developers can manually truncate clones to create subsets or use the efficient Solix Test Data Management - Insert Method for database cloning to create a database template and insert only the data required for the test while maintaining referential integrity.
Solix EDMS Test Data Management allows application developers to:
- Deploy subset policies based on application metadata and subset volumes:
- Define application metadata once and leverage it repeatedly to define multiple subset policies. Because different copies require different subsets of test data, Solix EDMS Test Data Management allows users to deploy the appropriate subset configuration for each clone based on required volumes.
- Eliminate unauthorized access to sensitive or corporate confidential data with Solix EDMS Data Masking:
- Define masking policies to remove confidential data such as financial, HR, or sales information, while preserving the fields in proper format to support the test.
- Improve TCO by reducing cloning times and storage requirements:
- Single-pass cloning minimizes the time and compute resources required to create clones.
- Subsetting to include only needed data reduces cloning times and storage requirements significantly.
- Manage clones for multiple enterprise applications including:
- Oracle E-Business Suite,
- JD Edwards,
- Baan, and,
- custom applications running on Oracle, IBM DB2, IBM Informix, Microsoft SQL, MySQL, and other RDBMS with JDBC drivers.
- Reduces cloning times from days to hours irrespective of the size of the production database with an automated, parallel copy process.
- Creates smaller clones − reduces storage and server requirements.
- Provides delete, truncate, and insert methods for subsetting.
- Supports database, application, and schema cloning.
- Applies user-defined business rules consistently to all cloning processes across all clones.
- Integrates with Solix EDMS Data Masking for data masking, encryption/decryption, substitution, shuffling, and nulling to protect sensitive data in subsets, reducing security exposure.